1) Are you running ProGamers? Is it optional and will it run during 3rd period?
Yes, ProGamers will be running during the 3rd period. It is a trial event, which means it will not be included in the overall team scoring calculations.
2) Do you HAVE to have 4 people for Work it Out? Or can we participate with 2?
4 people are required for Work it Out.
3) Will there be food available for purchase or nearby at the event or should we pack lunches?
Olsen’s Craft Wieners and Kona Ice trucks will be on-site from about 11am – 1:45am. Teams are welcome to pack lunches and snacks as well. A sample menu for Olsen’s Craft Wieners can be found here.
4) For STEM Design Challenge, the main page of resources states that teams must bring “writing instruments and their challenge box full of materials.” However, in the official rules (when you click on it), a pencil is not listed in the tools section. I just wanted to clarify that we were allowed to include pencils in the box. Pencils are not part of the device; they would be used to draw fan blades before cutting them out. Just let me know.
Pencils are allowed in the boxes, but are not allowed to be a part of the device.
5) In a previous email, you asked about any feedback from previous years. The only concern we had last year was the Science Password type event (which was Science Charades last year). The concern was that the judge flipped the cards slowly and he/she struggled with not being able to keep up with the kids’ responses. Just wanted you to be aware so the cards could be flipped at the same pace the kids are going. Thanks.
I’ll talk to the judges ahead of time and ask them to practice flipping the cards quickly. The same judges will be judging the entire time; so even if they can’t keep up, it should still be fair across all teams.
6) For the walk-in events, there was an option under “Schedule” on Avogadro last year to schedule which period we preferred to go to the walk-in. When I clicked on “Schedule” in Avogadro, there was not an option to select a preferred period for the walk-in event. This was an option last year, I just wanted to make sure I did not miss anything.
Self-scheduling is closed in Avogadro. Please contact Amy Lamb for assistance or to make changes. Her email is email@example.com, and she can also be reached at 919-515-9402.