A – Elementary
NC Essential Standards Alignment:
Science as Inquiry
Event Score Sheet:
Teams of 4 will compete in a relay race to show their overall understanding of the topics covered in NCSO events this year. Pairs of students will complete an activity or task and answer quiz questions before their teammates can begin their portion of the relay.
No materials are needed.
The shortest team time in tenths of a second to complete the race wins.
Ties will be broken by the shortest time needed to complete the academic challenge at the THIRD set of challenges which involves all four partners.
Lots of questions on this one, check out the youtube video below to help you visualize.
- This is a pentathlon event. 1 pair will do an academic & physical challenge, then high-five their partners to do another set, then everyone will work together on the last set of challenges.
- The academic challenges will come from something in the other 18 events this season. It might be reading a graph, or matching parts of a plant to their names, but it will not be explaining the intricacies of the digestive system.
- The physical challenges can be anything and everything! Jumping jacks, bouncing ping pong balls into a bucket, playing human hungry hippo (haven’t see this one? check it out here.)
- Students should be prepared to be on display, this is a great crowd-pleasing event, with lots of cheering for everyone!
- A great study tip – have everyone in the other events write 5 questions about their content that could easily be answered – no long answer questions.
Here is an example of how Work it Out looks in action!