The Wake County-Middle Creek Division A (elementary) tournament took place on March 30th at Middle Creek High School. The event was organized by Regional Director Beth Lewis. Special thank you to everyone at Middle Creek High School that graciously hosted our tournament!. Volunteer Award Winners: Emily Mengel Spirit Award Winner: DaVinci’s Dragons OVERALL WINNERSGreen Hope…
March 30, 2019
Beth Lewis, Beth_Lewisfamily@yahoo.com
Division A Teams:
This Division A tournament has a capacity of 20 teams.
March 31, 2019
Good morning all,
I hope that you had a great day yesterday, a huge thank you to Beth & crew for another great tournament! I really enjoyed all of your enthusiasm and signs yesterday!
If you are the one who can log in to Avogadro, you can click on your team name and see a graph of how the team did versus everyone else and also the raw score in the event. Many of you have asked for the total number of points per test (because it is rarely 100) and I am still working with the developer on that.
If you see a problem in the scores, please email Angela by Tuesday morning at the latest so that we can look in to it. Scores become final at 5pm on Wednesday.
Here are the scores divided by team group – this is what medals & trophies come from.
Here are the combined scores – This is just for reference to see how you did against every other team that competed.
Please let me know if you have any questions!
March 16, 2019
Hello Head Coaches,
Just a few last minutes reminders as we approach the final stretch…feel free to forward this email along to all your parents for stellar communications!
Date: Saturday, March 30, 2019
Registration/Arrival Time: 7:45 – 8:25am
Location: Middle Creek High School, 123 Middle Creek Park Avenue, Apex, 27539
1. Upon arrival, please have your team head coach check in at the registration table in the front hall. At check in, we will be needing the following items
**team roster entered into Avogadro
**All online Photography Consent forms submitted by parents
**Vandalism/Behavior forms signed by school principal and team!
2. Your team will have a “home base” in the cafeteria. Each table will have a sign for your team(s). Your competitors and their parents can report directly to your home base upon arrival to the tournament. They do not need to check in at the registration or volunteer tables.
3. I will not have the map or schedule printed out for each parent, so please send these files along to your parents and they are welcome to print them out or download them to their phones if they choose.
4. Please have your entire group wear soft-soled shoes – there are many events in the Gymnasium and we do not want to damage the school’s floors. The gymnasium flooring was just re-done over the winter break, so it is brand new!
5. Participants and their families are welcome to bring along bag lunches and/or snacks to eat in the cafeteria at any time throughout the day. All food and drinks must remain in the cafeteria. Also, there will be several food trucks parked in the student parking lot from 11:00am – 2:00pm – so please make sure the families who would like to purchase food have their money along with them and please encourage them to stand in line beginning at 11:00am so the lines do not become too long during the lunch break.
Hibachi Express: http://www.hibachixpress.com/
Las Gringas: https://www.
Daddy Bob’s Barbeque: https://www.
We will have coffee and beignets for sale out in the student parking lot at 7:30am thanks to Mr. A’s Beignets: https://www.
11. Do any teams have any competitors who will need some type of accommodation during their event? If so, please contact me to discuss and we’ll do our best to make necessary arrangements.
March 3, 2019
The Ramp and Roll event will take place in the main gym and will be run on the gym floor. We ask that all your participants wear soft-soled shoes to attend gym events (Middle Creek High just got the floor refinished over the December break!)
March 3, 2019
January 11, 2019
Happy New Year NCSO Head Coaches!
Later this month or possibly in February, you will be receiving an email from NCSO regarding the online forms necessary to fill out to prepare for the tournament in March. If you’ve done this before, you know what to expect. If you are a new NCSO team, then please look at the emails sooner rather than later so you’ll be able to schedule yourself adequate time to prepare all the forms prior to the tournament week. If you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to email myself or Kim and we will direct your email along to the correct person who can help with your online form questions.
There are three important forms that must be filled out prior to your arrival at the tournament
1. Sign up your kids in the Avogadro system for their events. Directions will come later this month via email from NCSO staff. You’ll need to know if you are part of the Blue teams or Green teams – see below.
2. Photo consent form – this form is electronic and you can simply send the link out to your parents for them to grant/deny permissions. This form must be filled out for each child on your team. The link will be sent to you later this month via email from NCSO staff.
3. Behavior/vandalism form this form is the only piece of paper you will need to turn in to me upon arrival at the tournament. It needs to be signed by each child who will be competing at the tournament and your school’s principal. This form is attached to this email.
St. Mary Magdalene’s
St. JP Catholic
Triangle Math & Science
I’m starting to look for volunteers to help lead events or to volunteer to assist the event leaders. Many Olympiad families are very passionate about this program and have enjoyed running events for us in the past. If you have any parents who would like to volunteer, their help is really appreciated! We simply ask that parents pick their volunteer events that their own child is not competing in during the tournament to escape potential conflicts of interest. For any interested parents, they can get signed up here.
Best of luck to you during your winter preparations!
Tournament Director @ Wake – Middle Creek
NC Science Olympiad – Division A
Hello Head Coaches,
Sorry it has taken us so long to get launched this year. We have big changes to announce to you veteran teams…this year, we will be running a 30 team tournament at Wake – Middle Creek, so it will be an even larger happy family working together to make an unforgettable experience for the kids!
To this end, there is a brand new tournament schedule that has recently been posted to our website. I have also attached it below for you to look over. Here are your school assignments:
Green Teams: Cathedral School Elementary, Davinci’s Dragons, Middle Creek Elementary, St. John Paul II Catholic School, Triangle Math and Science Academy, Wiley International Studies Magnet Elementary and Willow Springs Elementary.
Blue Teams: Alston Ridge Elementary, Baucom Elementary, Cedar Fork Elementary, Green Hope Elementary, Kingswood Montessori STEM Magnet, St. Mary Magdalene, Tesla’s Titans and Walnut Creek Elementary.
All teams will still be competing against each other – there are just two different time slots for each event which contain identical exam material. We kept it easy for you by having your JV and Varsity teams travel together in a schedule. Three events will be self-scheduled – this means that you will be given a chance to sign up for a time slot in January, when you get all the students registered online in our Avogadro registration system. There will be extensive details about how to do this sent to you in January by the NCSO folks.
I will be sending out many more emails to you after the New Year and each time I email you, I will also copy the information to the Wake – Middle Creek tournament website on the NCSO website.
Just a quick note for those who are new to NCSO…during the tournament, your team will be assigned a home base (a cafeteria table to hang out at while the tournament is occurring) in the school’s cafeteria and your team members/family will be able to eat a bag lunch and snacks there at any time of day. I will also be providing several food trucks out in the school’s parking lot so your families can purchase a hot lunch, if desired, because our location is not close to any food restaurants. So, even though lunch is specified on the schedule from 1:00-1:45pm, your children are welcome to graze, as needed, at any time of day in the cafeteria at your home base.
If you have any passionate NCSO veteran families who just love this program and can’t wait to help out, please let them know that they are welcome to volunteer at the tournament! They can get signed up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c094aa9af2b0-ncscience We just ask that they choose to help with events that their child is NOT participating in during the tournament. If they have any high-school-aged siblings who need volunteer hours, they can also sign up! I can provide volunteer hour letters upon request.
Finally, if you have any questions at all, as you begin to prepare your teams for competition, especially perhaps rules clarification questions, please don’t hesitate to email myself or Kim Gervase to ask. It’s always better to ask ahead of time!
Best wishes as you launch your NCSO seasons,
Tournament Director @ Wake- Middle Creek
NC Science Olympiad – Division A
Hello Head Coaches, Sorry it has taken us so long to get launched this year. We have big changes to announce to you veteran teams…this year, we will be running a 30 team tournament at Wake – Middle Creek, so it will be an even larger happy family working together to make an unforgettable experience…