Div C Separate Scores - this is what TROPHIES are awarded from. It separates out the FPOWS (disregard their scores at the top) and ranks the full teams against each other.
Scores are not final untli 5 pm on Wednesday. Head Coaches should contact Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions as soon as possible.
Remember that tournament season isn't quite over in NC yet! We still have elementary tournaments in Durham, Wake, Brunswick, New Hanover, Wilkes, & Mecklenburg counties and would love your help! See the Elementary webpage for more info.
April 18, 2017
This is it. The very last email from me this week... until you have a question and email me back.
To recap for those of you who have been relaxing on Spring Breaks and not checking your emails.
1. Avogadro logins changed. For 92.3% of you, it is your first and last name. If that doesn't work, you'll have to email me to see what I have in the system for you.
2. Your team rosters must be in before your kids can compete. No exceptions.
3. Your teams must be scheduled for the self-schedule events by Thursday at midnight. At that point, I am printing the schedules for the event leaders. They will take all the teams who registered, and then if there is time and or space, they will take anyone who didn't follow directions. Do not email me and ask if your students are registered in their events. You can check this, click the scheduling button and look at (and print) your schedule.
4. Everyone needs a signed consent form, either an electronic one or a paper one.
5. Vandalism Form - sign it and bring it.
6. Reynold's Coliseum. Have I mentioned that they will never let us in the building again if we break/mark up/breathe too heavily on any of the new display cases and furniture? Please do not set up home bases in the stands, Talley Student center or outside are much better options if you don't like the home base we assigned to you.
7. Parking. We are trying to get a lot of people on campus Friday afternoon. Parking is not especially user-friendly before 5pm. Please follow these parking directions.
8. Registration. Will be in the Main lobby of Reynold's on Friday afternoon starting at 2 and Saturday morning until 8:30. Anyone coming after that can check in with us in the scoring room, there will be signs in Reynold's directing you that way.
9. Wifi - There is an open NCSUguest wifi available to everyone on campus for the weekend.
10. Food. We have posted options on the tournament webpage for this.
11. Merchandise. There will be state t-shirts among other things available for purchase in the Reynold's lobby. We went with a dry-fit t-shirt this year and they are $20.
12. Have fun. We have worked our tails off to make sure that this event is worthy of the time and effort you and your kids have devoted to Olympiad. We are here to help, to celebrate everyone's accomplishments, and most importantly, to have fun. See you Friday!
April 12, 2017
Lots of you have already emailed me about this. The developer pushed a change live last night that I didn't know was coming - great timing, right?
Your USER NAME is not your email anymore... It is what it says in the upper left hand corner after you log in. For most of you, this will be your first name <space> last name. Try that first, and if it doesn't work, you will have to email me and I can look it up. Please tell me your school when you email me, it helps me so much.
PLEASE try to take care of this sooner rather than later, I have to travel Thursday - Sunday for a family issue and won't have internet access for much of that time, so I don't want to be the bottleneck to you getting your scheduling done.
I am so sorry about this, Murphy's Law in full affect today.
Good morning coaches,
It is checklist time. These are the things that you need to do before states.
1. Send your parents to the Google consent form link - on the tournament webpage. Confirm that you have the consent form either electronically (I sent a separate email with this link to check) or have a paper copy in hand to turn in at registration.
2. Have everyone sign the vandalism & behavior form again (same form as regionals).
3. Enter your students into your States team in Avogadro, and self schedule into events. About 1/3 of you have not done this yet. We will be using the signups as the roll call, all teams who signed up for a slot will get to compete first, then if there is time, anyone who is left can compete in that time period. All other events have been added at this point, so you should be able to print schedules for your team. If you see a mistake, please let me know, I would be amazed if I scheduled all 3,000 time slots correctly without at least 1 error. I have added a signup slot for Amazing Mech B in Avogadro, other trials are walk-in without scheduling.
4. Get any permission slips needed from your school. I don't need these.
Important points and FAQs
1. Minors may not be alone on campus at any time. You must have people with you to get them between buildings and back to home base. If you need help with this, consider teaming up with the other school in your home base area or another school from your area. If you still don't have anyone, please let me know and I will try to get an NC State student to help you.
2. All problems that happen on campus occur when you don't follow point #1. We've had eggs thrown at buildings, students getting hurt while attempting stunts seen on YouTube, and kids literally in the rafters of buildings. All when they were somewhere without a chaperone. Students can not be in home bases alone either. Our vandalism & behavior policy stems directly from fines we had to pay for damage done by students at a State tournament in an unsupervised home base.
3. Homebases are now posted on the site. If you do not plan to use your homebase, please let me know where your team plans to set up headquarters for the day.
4. Reynold's is an expensive, shiny new building. If there are so much as smudges on the walls, we have to pay to have the paint touched up... for real. We can't wait to be back in this space and you are going to love it, but please, remind (perhaps emphatically a few times) your students that we will never be allowed in this building again if they destroy anything. I will pull out my 'mean mom' voice if necessary.
5. Where to go. I have uploaded the driving and parking directions and the state tournament program on the tournament page. We are parking the buses at the Carter Finley Stadium this year and have a shuttle running back and forth for your drivers. As a reminder, buses cannot stay on main campus either Friday or Saturday.Car parking is not free and open to the public until 5pm on Friday, so please start by using the bottom of the Reynold's Coliseum parking deck which is a pay lot. If it is very close to 5 when you get there, you can probably safely gamble and park anywhere is that is not a handicap or 24-hour permanently reserved space. Cars can park anywhere on campus Saturday.
6. Registration. Will be in the main lobby of Reynold's on Friday and until 8am on Saturday morning. After that, any FPOWs checking in later in the day will do so in the Media Room in the West hallway of Reynolds. There will be signs.
7. Impound. Cars (south lobby of Reynolds), Mission Possible (main floor of Reynolds), & Hovercrafts (Mann 321) will impound at the site of the event. No Impound for Wind Power.
8. FPOW FAQ. Yes, parents can bring their students to the event, coaches do not have to come. They still need all this info and must check in their students before they compete in order to get a wristband. No, they do not have to be there at 8am if there event is not until 1pm. As long as they have impounded anything that needs it on time, they just need to show up on campus early enough to check in and make it to their room on time.
9. Help needed. We will be breaking down and stacking all the chairs Friday after opening ceremonies, then putting them up again at 5pm on Saturday for awards then breaking them down again after awards. There are 1000 chairs. I am hopeful that some of you and your students will help with this like in years past.
See you soon!
April 4, 2017
Here is the new information we have for the week.
The Scheduling option is now open for all the walk-in events. If you do not see the state tournament as an option when you log in to avogadro, please send me a screen shot, it means that what I have linked to your school is not what you are logging in with. You MUST pick a slot to compete, the event leaders are going to be using that list as their roll in each period.
Some questions that I have been getting a lot:
1. Who needs to fill out the google consent forms? Any student coming with you should fill out the form, including alternates or JV team members along for the experience.
2. Who can participate in Trial events? Schools bringing a full team can have team members or alternates participate. FPOWs can also participate, but not others from their school.
3. Does the head coach have to bring the students to the tournament? No, but they may not come alone. Many parents bring the individual students to compete, that is fine. Coaches must log in and make sure that the right students are registered for the right events in Avogadro, they must get the Vandalism & Behavior form out to be signed, and they must pass along the consent form link for parents.
Information on some events: The red text below are links to pictures.
Rocks & Minerals: The state event leaders would like to add the following samples to your official list for the State tournament: 2 rocks - diabase and phosphate rock (phosphorite) and 3 minerals - pyrophyllite, kyanite and spodumene
Part A will cover solids and liquids only. There will be NO mixtures of solids and there will be NO metals. Questions will be asked about lab technique, procedure, and chemical/physical properties of the solids and liquids.
Part B will cover hairs AND fibers. There will be NO plastics.
Part C “as is” with no changes.
Part D will cover Fingerprints AND one other topic at the event supervisor’s discretion.
Some points from Part E will be distributed in parts A – D as embedded analysis questions.
Part A will include questions about lab technique, procedure, and chemical/physical properties of the solids.
Part B will cover hairs AND fibers. There will be no plastics.
Part C will cover chromatography. There will be NO Mass Spec.
Part D will cover Fingerprints, Entomology, AND one other topic at the event supervisor’s discretion.
Some points from Part E will be distributed in parts A – D as embedded analysis questions.
We will run this in the 2-story Foyer of SAS Hall. It is 25 feet tall, has a flat ceiling with a few recessed can lights.
Wright Stuff: Will run in Reynold's Coliseum. The Jumbotron is approximately 25 feet off the ground, the open floor space is 94' long x 100' wide, then expands wider on the second story. There will be other events running in that space at the same time.
Hovercraft: will run on solid laminated tables that look like these.
Electric Vehicle & Scrambler: will run on the South lobby floor, not the basketball court.
I have updated the State Bids and FPOWs to include all the regional tournaments. Scores still aren't final for Asheville and Laurinburg, but I will wanted to get information out to everyone.
I hope to spend my day today entering all of you into avogadro for the state tournament. Please log in this afternoon or tomorrow and make sure that you see the state tournament as an option so that you are ready to self schedule into events on Saturday morning.
I have posted the Vandalism & Behavior form on the state tournament page, along with the Google consent form. It looks slightly different - I have made 1 generic form for everyone coming to states with a dropdown menu for parents to pick their schools. You do not have access to the form. I am going to sort and monitor how many forms you have from your school and will let you know in about 2 weeks if there seem to be gaps. I couldn't decide if this was the easier than sending out 210 individual forms, so we are going to try it and see how it works this year.
I will post info for car floors and helicopter/wright stuff space very soon, please check the state tournament page.
I am going to release some of the regional tests that were used by the beginning of next week. I will put them in a google folder with a link on the state tournament webpage. I am not promising that every test and answer key will be 100% correct, we make a lot of changes on our hard copies that I never have time to translate in to the electronic versions, so use them as study guides, but please don't start emailing me with errors that you find, I spend all of Jan, February, and March fixing answer keys with event leaders. If the test isn't in the folder, then I don't plan on releasing it. Not because I am trying to hinder your education, but possibly because other people in the country are using pieces of one of our tests on their state or regional exams or possibly because I don't have a copy that would make any sense without a lot of equipment. I will be able to get you data on construction events, we are pulling all of that out of avogadro now.
If you haven't already let me know about this, I need to know the following information ASAP:
1. If your team isn't coming to States
2. If you WON'T be at opening or closing ceremonies
3. If you have anyone on your team who needs modifications
We only have one more 5 tournament weekend to get through on April 1, and then I will be working almost exclusively on States for the next few weeks. Good luck and we'll see you soon!
March 10, 2017
I will continue to update the spreadsheet for team and FPOW winners, as I filled in everyone's email to the list this morning, I found a few typos and will upload a new version later today. If your team is NOT planning to come to states, please let me know as soon as possible so that we can plan accordingly.
Team number - you all have a team number now for states - it is on the spreadsheet and will match your number in avogadro. The schedules on the webpage show you what periods you will be competing for each event. If you team number is 1 - 20, you will follow the green 1-20 schedule, if it is 21-40, then follow the blue schedule, if you are an FPOW, you will follow the yellow FPOW block.
Experimental Design - yes, this will be a real event counting towards trophies in both divisions. I am making this a self-schedule because you didn't have to plan for it at regionals. Find 3 students with a common time open and be ready to claim your spot when scheduling opens.
Trial Events - still working on these, there may be another added, but for our veterans, please note that Stuck on Science has a theme that we will be announcing on March 29th. We are trialing Bouy oh Bouy! for Nationals, and Amazing Mechatronics B is likely to become a real event in our schedule next year, so you may want to send a pair in to try it out. We are going to limit all of these to 1 team per school, but it can be alternates. FPOWs - you are welcome to participate in these events, but you can't bring extra students from your school to do them.
Rosters - At some point in the next few weeks, I will get everyone registered for the state tournament in avogadro and will let you know so that you can log in and add your students and events. If your team received a bid, you can bring any 18 students that you want, whether they were V, JV, or just joined the school last week. If it is an FPOW invitation, you can only bring the specific students who won - even if one of them has to be at a band competition, you can't substitute anyone for them.
Self Scheduling - you can see on the schedules which events we will ask you to self-schedule. This is an attempt to decrease the lines at construction events. It seemed to help at the regionals so far. You will be glad to hear that we can lay the tracks for cars on Friday night, so impound should go much smoother for this one on Saturday morning. This will open at 7am on April 1. Why? Because April Fool's Day seems like the perfect time for this, and our last regionals don't finalize until March 29, so this gives those coaches 2 days to take a breath and figure out what works for their team.
Forms - we have to lather, rinse, repeat on the same forms used for regionals. New google forms will be headed your way, and a new Vandalism & Behavior form should be turned in at the registration table when you check in.
Fees - There are no additional fees to attend States.
Friday activities - We will have many of our old partners plus some new ones at the newly renovated Reynold's Coliseum Friday afternoon from 2 - 5. You are not obligated to be there, but please try hard to let your students get the added experience of interacting with all of these great groups. Opening Ceremonies will then start at 5 pm sharp. If you are NOT coming on Friday night, or you AREN'T staying for awards on Saturday, you can still compete, but I need to know. We can't quite get everyone on the floor of Reynold's so if your team isn't coming or is going to be small, I am going to place you on the second floor. I still love and you and the kids still get their awards, but we need the floor to be full. I have allocated 20 seats per full team and a section for the FPOWs to sit together.
If you have questions, please ask, but please check the webpage before you ask. When you ask, please remind me what school you are with. On a good brain day, I know who you are and where you coach, but there are 970 teams now and I can't always readily recall where you are. There are 16 more tournaments between today and States that we also have to take care of, so if I don't get back to you as fast as you would like, it is because I am trying to help all of those coaches get through avogadro & google forms & impound too. Or maybe I am just ignoring you, I guess you'll never know :)
I am excited to see all of you in April - good luck!